There is a reason I try to cook healthy most of the week, even when I’m not saying, “oh crap I have to lose those xx pounds as my skinny jeans look like sausage casings.” I suck at portion control. And I mean suck. All you skinny bitches out there know who you are, the ones who say you’re perfectly fine having 2 bites of steak and just smelling your mashed potatoes. Good for you (said exactly like Christian Bale.)
But me? I love food, and I love eating it.
I’d rather make myself a gigantic, embarrassing mixing bowl of salad and polish off the whole thing, than make one full fat something or other and be able to have a forkful. I just don’t work that way. I work out and eat healthier 85% of the time so that I can overly enjoy the other 15%.
Which is why spaghetti squash became one of my favorite things to eat. Contrary to popular belief, you won’t be totally wowed when you eat it, thinking you’re absolutely having a bowl full of carbtastic goodness. But you will be eating something that makes an excellent vehicle for sauce, meatballs, and the like, that will feel an awful lot like pasta. Plus, it tastes pretty fantastic, sweet and nutty.
I crave pasta, especially in the winter, especially in times where I’m only supposed to be eating kale and air popped popcorn. I love nothing more than a giant bowl of whole grain (yes, seriously) pasta with some olive oil, garlic, and cheese. But if I ate as much of that as I’d like to these days, this would be a whole different kind of blog…
So I switch out once in a while, roasting up some spaghetti squash, making delicious and healthy ground chicken meatballs with a vat of my sauce of choice. It allows me to eat an enormously ridiculous amount of food, without feeling like I might as well throw my skinny jeans in the Goodwill pile.
Tell me, PLEASE! I’m not alone right? I’m not the only one who’s got some serious portion control moments?